Monday 10 September 2012

Photographers


 Richard Avedon


'Nastassja Kinsky and the Serpent'
The reason I like this photo is that it IS passion and seduction. The way the woman looks out of the portrait as if luring you in, the serpent which has always been associated with weakness, evil and seduction entwined with her naked body.
The lighting is soft and very flattering against her skin, even though there are drastically contrasting shadows on her thighs.
This woman is beautiful, but not 'perfect' in the way her stomach isn't a wash board. I think I like this most of all. She is curvaceous and beautiful, I want to know who she is, what her story is... And, in my opinion, that is the kind of photograph that is worth noting. One that makes you think.


Corinne Day


"Photography is getting as close as you can to real life, showing us things we don't normally see. These are people's most intimate moments, and sometimes intimacy is sad." - Corinne Day
I love the colours in this picture. They are so soft and innocent. Even though you can't see her face, you know this woman in pretty. The lighting is so lovely and suggests morning. This woman in lying, messy haired and alone in bed in the morning, gazing out of her window wondering about something while absent mindedly playing with her pillow. I want to know what she is wondering, why she is alone.
Each time I look at this photo, I want to know more about her. Again, this is what makes me love a photograph. Questions.


Shirin Nishat 

I really like the detail of the writing on this woman's hand. The language is art in itself, so delicate and flowing. The way the woman places her fingers against her lip makes it look almost as though she is shocked. The way people put a hand to their mouth when they gasp, but it also looks quite sexual. More like she is playing with her lips.
At first i thought she could be embarrassed about her religion, but then I noticed the slight upward turn playing at the edges of her lips. So it seemed more like she was pretending that she was embarrassed. Perhaps playing with the idea that she should be embarrassed according to other people. Of course I may be wrong but that is where my mind lead.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely choice of imagery. I particularly like the Shirin Nishat photographs which are very thought provoking and beautiful at the same time.
    You make very interesting and personal comments about each of the images and i particularly like your analysis of the Richard Avedon image; this photograph may have been taken at round about the same time that Natasha Kinski appeard in Catwoman perhaps that might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete