Tuesday 23 October 2012

Graphic Design 3

1) Six main disiplines within Graphic Design include advertising, web design, corporate identity, packaging, typography and sign and symbols.

2) We all went down to the Chesterfield College Library to look at what Graphic Design magazines/journals were available. The main ones that we relevant were Eye Magazine, Creative Review and Computer Arts. I found a rather interesting article in Eye magazine about a comic magazine called 'Katy Keene' (1645-61) which captured the essence of post-war America. Katy Keene was all about glamour and is described in the article as, "less exotic 'pin-up', more girl next door-" and was later crowned as 'pin-up Queen'.
The resaon I really like this article is because it called for fans to submit their own artwork that would be published in the magazine along with the fan's postal address so people could contact them. Because of this approached they achieved and mantained a loyal fan base, many who went on to become established designers in their own right, for example; Anna Sui, Betsey Johnson, Lloyd Sensat, Jack Evans, Barbara Rausch and John Lucas.
I really like how it managed to create artists from the public through a comic magazine that anyone could walk to the shop an buy. In the magazine they also did dress-up paper dolls that you could cut out and change the outfits. This is what caught my eye at first with the article as I used to have a modern version of this type of doll and I loved it. Definitely fun for every one and a little trip down memory lane for me, although of course it wasn't this exact model... I wasn't around then!
Click here to view the article.

3) I have looked at the Design Museum in London's website and have found this famous graphic design company, 'Graphic Thought Facility'. I used to research them in my Graphic Design course last year and really like their design for 'habitat', simple but clever. 
Click here to view their page.

No comments:

Post a Comment