Sunday 28 October 2012

Graphic Design 6

When I came onto this course, I had already completed a two year Graphic Design course. Just before completing this course, I decided that graphic design wasn't for me. While I enjoyed some of the projects and some of the typography, I much preferred my drawing projects with Sam Winnard. 
Throughout my two year course, I became increasingly aware of design around me and how it influenced me day to day, this week I was reminded how it truly is everywhere, from the magazines you read to the design on the box of cereal you have in the morning.
I think the discipline of Graphic Design that I find most interesting is typography. I like how you can influence how someone 'hears' the text when they read it by having some parts in a larger print or a blocky font and how serif and sans serif can make the difference between someone with dyslexia (like me) being able to read something easily or struggling. This is why on all of my blog posts I haven't settled for the default font and have always changed it to Helvetica. (Also, Helvetica has been chosen as the best font so far by Graphic Designers around the world.)
I have enjoyed this week in Graphic Design, but it hasn't changed my mind and, though I will always think about the design that is all around me, it won't be the chosen career for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment